The Cistercian Abbey of Stanlow, in Cheshire, moved to Whalley in 1296. The Church was built between 1330 and 1380, but the Abbot's lodging and Infirmary were not completed until c. 1440
After the dissolution of the Monastery in 1537, the property passed into private hands, and Ralph Assheton adapted it to make an Elizabethan Manor House. It remained a private residence until 1923, when the Church of England acquired possession.
Photos taken with a Canon 60D and a Tamron 10-24mm lens.
|Altar and Gatehouse|
|Transept from North looking towards South Range|
|Monks Day Rooms in South Range|
|Monks Day Rooms in South Range from Abbey|
|Two Storey Dormitory at West end|
|Refectory and Kitchen in South East|
|View from North Parapet across Transept to the Elizabethan House|
|West End looking towards the Choir and beyond|
|Refectory and Kitchens in South Range|
|Transept Pillars looking South|
|South Range Monks Day Rooms and Rere-dorter|